The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

A Matter of Heart

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 2: PROVISION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragamuffin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: A Matter of Heart Reply with quote

Of all the lines on a pastor’s resume for passion and calling or on a leadership search team’s list of “non-negotiables” for the next leader, where does “a heart for God’s people” emerge? Is it in “discipling,” “empowering,” or “equipping”? No – at their core these are “mind words.” What about “feed,” “tend,” and “love”? These were the “heart words” Jesus gave to Peter in John’s gospel.

As a part of a leadership development ministry, I have the opportunity to interact with lots of denominations and organizations globally. Sadly, these entities often make a practice out of sacrificing the flock for the sake of the tenure of a shepherd who has no heart for his/her sheep – much like Ezekiel describes in chapter 34. Megachurch programs which feed on sheep rather than feed them are legion. (I choose that last word deliberately - Luke 8:26-39) Still waters? Green pastures? Paths of righteousness? Not so much.

Abu-Jamal’s words convict me deeply, “I’ll sell the flocks to someone else before I let my sheep go to those who don’t care for them.” As the book noted, God is equally serious about the care of His people. The reminder of the priestly role in the Old Testament – helping people access God, reconcilers and dispensers of God’s grace – was refreshing and a reminder of the role we all share as the royal priesthood of the merciful High Priest, Jesus.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 2: PROVISION
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: