The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Have I Domesticated God in My Mind?

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 19: The Other Lion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fporter1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Have I Domesticated God in My Mind? Reply with quote

3. Day 19 the other lion

44 Like a lion coming up from Jordan's thickets to a rich pastureland, I will chase Babylon from its land in an instant. Who is the chosen one I will appoint for this? Who is like me and who can challenge me? And what shepherd can stand against me?" 45 Therefore, hear what the LORD has planned against Babylon, what he has purposed against the land of the Babylonians: The young of the flock will be dragged away; their pasture will be appalled at their fate. (Jer 50:44-45 NIV)

The Lion the King of Judah who will put all of his enemies under his feet. He is the shepherd yet he is the lion. And when we see that God is good but not meaning he is safe we see something. In scripture the divine shepherd shift rom sustainer to killer.
5 I cared for you in the wilderness, in the land of burning heat. 6 When I fed them, they were satisfied; when they were satisfied, they became proud; then they forgot me. 7 So I will be like a lion to them, like a leopard I will lurk by the path. (Hos 13:5-7 NIV)
The people of God cry out to God to save them from himself.

4 How long, LORD God Almighty, will your anger smolder against the prayers of your people? (Psa 80:4 NIV)
Their only hope was the shepherd of Israel who would lead their flock
Hear us, Shepherd of Israel, you who lead Joseph like a flock. You who sit enthroned between the cherubim, shine forth (Psa 80:1 NIV)
His under shepherds plead for mercy from the one who held both power to harm and power to save.
Who else could they turn to?
This makes me think of how I so often turn to other things to save me from myself. But I should I not only turn to God. I know him in his divine love and mercy and his justice pouring his wrath toward me out upon his son but often I forget it is by grace and he could had easily just poured out his unquenchable wrath on me. The only one who has both the power of death and life in his hands.
I come before you God in worship.
Would I intercede for others? Leading is interceding as it is standing in the gap between the values I hold and how I actually live. The values that are God’s and that are mine. Would I pray and intercede that God would bridge the gap? He has in Jesus. Do I trust in him?
I too wonder how much I have domesticated God in my mind. Unlike Mr. Beaver do I see that no one said anything about him being safe, but he is good. It is that goodness I depend upon. Does my flock depend upon him? Do I pray on their behalf that they would depend upon him?
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 19: The Other Lion
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: