The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Shepherd the Flock, Willingly

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherd2Shepherd -> Servant Leadership
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaps13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Shepherd the Flock, Willingly Reply with quote

The statement in First Peter 5:2 “Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, serving as overseers – not because you must, but because you are willing . . .” is a helpful reminder for shepherds. The charge is clear and it is to be done with a willing spirit of service (p. 233). Leading the flock is hard work. It is about a call from God. But, the call to serve is to be met with a willing and joyful response. It has been my observation that when the response to this call is not with a sense of willingness and humility, or when it is taken for the wrong reasons and wrong motives then the flock suffers – it is abused, it is attacked, not fed, and not led.

Some (elders and/or pastors) who respond are greedy for money or power or recognition. The temptations are real and the work is not easy. This may not be the case when they enter into ministry, but hearts may begin to harden over time because of different circumstances or experiences which are difficult personally or professionally or both.

The call to be a shepherd means “watching” over the flock to feed, lead, care for, protect and provide. It is a willing, humble, eager and thoughtful response to the call of God. It is all about serving others and ultimately serving God. And at times, it may include suffering, just as our Lord suffered for us. I am grateful that the Chief Shepherd has given an example of how to willingly serve as a shepherd and even give up his life to care for his sheep. I long to learn from him as I continue to serve.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherd2Shepherd -> Servant Leadership
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: