The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Old enough?

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 8: The Shepherd Healer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Old enough? Reply with quote

“The expectation of God’s under-shepherds is still to strengthen the weak, heal the sick, and bind up the injured. Do we recognize the subtle symptoms of our flocks’ ailments?...” I was humbled and challenged by your discussion here. Caring for people like this requires incredible attentiveness, skill and wisdom. The older I get (and the more ministry train wrecks I witness), the more I am becoming convinced that we should set the bar even higher to ordain people to pastoral ministry. Also, the more I understand James’ words: “Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers…” Not many of us should presume to be shepherds, either. It requires such a vast range of skill, compassion, and wisdom, a range that most 25-year old seminary graduates do not yet possess.
By way of analogy, in a moment of wisdom the United States of America determined that the minimum age requirement for a person to be Chief Shepherd (aka President) of this country should be 35. Given the tremendous expectations we (and God) place on our spiritual shepherds today, wouldn’t it make sense for the Church to adopt some kind of “minimum-age standard” also? (I know I must be sounding awfully “establishment” here for a post-modern!) You could almost make this argument reading between the lines of I Tim. 3.4, an “overseer” or “elder” is someone who has first learned to manage his own family well, having children who respect and obey, etc. A friend of mine just went through the Acts 29 (Mars’ Hill Church) church-planters’ boot camp. He said that one of Mark Driscoll’s mantras was: “First, learn how to lead the little flock (i.e., your family), then you get a shot at leading the big flock (i.e., the church).” I’m not pushing for an actual age here, of course, it just seems to me that we are frequently all-too-quick to ordain and call young ministers who are high on zeal and charisma but short on actual life experience and the wisdom that comes with it.
Ragamuffin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Old Enough or Mature Enough? Reply with quote

I really appreciated the thought here. However, as a popular greeting card says, "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional."

I have been under leadership made up of many chronological years but stunted in emotional and relational areas - in that case give me heart over head any day! Intellectually there were many riches but intimacy and transparency were sorely lacking.

In another arena I have observed a church staff that keeps hiring the "same guy" - different people but essentially the same person - in age as well as with the same outlook, the same vision, the same background. I imagine staff meetings are yawners with all that "disfunctional harmony" as another post noted. And the cure for all ills there are programs, not personal contact.

Both of these are in stark contrast to the picture presented in Scripture and described in this day's reading. I love the intimate way Jesus worked - and He only did what He saw the Father doing. That is an amazing thought. God is my shepherd touching me, desirous to bring health to me in every sense.

I need to do what Jesus did...and what He continues to do. Reach, touch, heal, be present with.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 8: The Shepherd Healer
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: