The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Not just heresy

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 26: Guard Yourselves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Not just heresy Reply with quote

“I wonder about my own orthodoxy too.”: I think the sheep  wolf transformation is not just a question of orthodoxy, it’s also one of personal health and wholeness (among other things – usually the transformation is quite gradual and complex – I’m suddenly visualizing those old werewolf horror movies). In my own experience, at least, I’ve witnessed sheep turn into wolves largely due to their failure to tend to their own hearts and deal with their own root “issues.” Prov 4.23: “Above all else, guard your heart, for from it flow the springs of life.” Richard Baxter: “For your people’s sake, therefore, look to your hearts.” Baxter again: “We are nurses of Christ’s little ones. If we forbear taking food ourselves, we shall famish them; it will soon be visible in their leanness, and dull discharge of their several duties.” Baxter again: “Take heed to yourselves, lest your example contradict your doctrine, and lest you lay stumbling-blocks before the blind, as may be the occasion of your ruin; lest you unsay with your lives, what you say with your tongues; and be the greatest hinderers of the success of your own labors.”
This one hits close to home for me as I’ve watched this happen now on two separate occasions.
I ran across this chilling quote by the British historian Gildas, lamenting Britain’s fall to the Anglo-Saxon invaders, in his work *The Ruin and Conquest of Britain,*: “Kings hath Britain, but they are tyrants. Judges she hath, but they are impious; priests hath Britain, but they are fools; pastors so-called, but they are wolves alert to slay souls. They do not look to the good of their people, but to the filling of their own bellies.” (cited in *Christianity and the Celts,* IVP: 2003, Ted Olsen, pp. 54-55) He essentially lays the blame for Britain’s fall at her leaders’ (both political and religious) feet.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 26: Guard Yourselves
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: